Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Our Temple

For the past three years we have been anxiously awaiting the day that "our" temple would be completed.  It was such a wonderful surprise when President Monson announced the temple in Brigham City.  It has been so fun to be a part of the process and watch it grow.  It was always fun to see how things changed every time we went to Brigham.
Josh and I had the privledge to serve as ushers during the open house.  We got to work the opening shift together.  We started out on the Temple grounds, basically just standing there, directing people back to the buses.  Then Josh got moved to the hospitality center where he watched the video over and over and over and guided people to the next part of the tour.  Then they gave me the most wonderful job!  I got to open the doors for the visitors to enter the Temple.  I felt like I was welcoming them into "my" Temple!  It was so fun!  I was one of the few people who got that experience because the next day they replaced that job with a door stop!
Josh ended up doing almost the same thing every time he ushered-kinda funny.  He also got to do the closing night shift.  It was neat for him to be there opening morning and closing night.  My second shift was kind of...shall we say....not very fun.  I got stuck in the parking lot.  At first I was just directing people to the buses.  Then they needed help in the corner of the lot.  They told me they would switch me off, but they forgot about me. :(  I stood there directing cars in the August heat for 3 and a half hours.  I didn't even have a chair or some water.  But it was okay.  People were super nice and you could still feel the special spirit of the temple clear out there.
My last shift as an usher was my favorite.  At first they put me by the water fountain up front.  I basically became the official temple picture taker.  It was really fun!  Then they needed someone "young" ( I like that I still fit that category) to help with the wheelchairs.  I spent the next three hours kneeling on the floor washing wheelchair tires.  That sounds miserable, right?  Well, it wasn't.  It was such an amazing experience to be able to "wash people's feet" so they could enter the temple.  Simply wonderful.   Then for the last little bit I got to stand in the baptistry and direct the visitors where to go.  It was an exhausting day, and I was very sore the next day, but I loved it!
Here's the cornerstone.  They put a picture of every ward in the temple district in the cornerstone.  So our family is in the Temple!  Pretty special.  It really is "our" temple.
The bus ride.  We could only get a morning time to go to the open house so the kids got to miss part of school.  They loved riding the bus to the temple!
Too bad the sun was in our faces.  It was awesome to share this experience with my Mom and Dad.  What a blessing this temple has been for our family.  They took all the Young Women in the Temple District to see the beautiful bride's room.  They talked to them about the temple and I'm so glad Ally got to see it.  She can now picture what it will be like to be married in the Brigham City Temple!

No comments:

Post a Comment